Imagine this: Six towering mountains all over Mindanaoâ€¦. Eleven Mountaineering Groups… Each mountain climber determined to reach the peak.
“What to do there?”
Simple: Raise the Philippine Flag. Thatâ€™s it.
“Are you nuts?”
Not for those mountaineering folks from the Philippine National Mountaineering Society. The group aims to gather the mountaineers all over the country to organize the biggest celebration of Independence Day in different Mountain peaks all “over the Philippines as a tribute to our fallen heroes in commemoration of their gallantry and struggle for our freedom.”
“Independence Day, you say?”
Yes my friend, at exactly 7:00 AM in the morning of June 14, 2009, a simultaneous flag raising ceremony will be done.
Now that’s one heroic and patriotic idea.
All Mountaineers Unite
So for those who want to participate in this big event you can coordinate to the Mountaineering Groups involved in this activity.
Here in Mindanao area, the following mountains will be conquered:
- Mt. Apo â€“ Needs no mention, this is simply the highest of them all.
- Mt. Kitanglad â€“ said to be the fourth highest mountain in the Philippines. This is located in Bukidnon Province
- Mt. Putting Bato â€“ the highest peak in the nearby Samal City
- Mt. Talomo â€“ this one is just in Davao, going farther up the Toril area.
- Mt. Magwawa â€“ in Davao del Norte
- Mt. Katambad â€“ somebody please tell me where this mountain is.. 😉
- Cliff Hanger Peak â€“ do we really have this in Mindanao?
And the eleven Mountaineering Groups that will be joining the activity:
- MFSM (Mountaineering Federation of Southern Mindanao)
- TEAK (Telecommunications Ecological And Adventure Klab)
- LOGSAC (Local Government of Sta. Cruz) Adventure Club)
- SAVERS (Sta. Cruz Active Volunteers for Emergency & Rescue Services)
- MOSS (Apo Mountaineering Outdoor Sports Society,Inc.)
- MOSACA (Mountain Scaler Asian Club Adventure, Inc.)
- ADAMCI (Adventist Davao Mountaineering Club, Inc.)
- Care Group (Coordinated Action Responding Emergency)
- TRIMMOC (Tribong Mindanao Mountaineering Club)
- CALMOC (Calinan Mountaineering Club)
So, all mountaineers in the Philippines, unite! The date is one June 14, 2009, (Independence Day is June 12) but you should get in touch with your mountaineering group prior to that.
This article is contributed by:
Engr. Albert C. Gabriel
MCTCA Vice Chairman for Eco-Tourism
Freedom Climb Coordinator for Mindanao